Click here for a listing of all HUMMER Network sponsors
The Hummer Knowledge Base
Measuring Spindle Radial Runout:
0.030 is the acceptable radial run-out. Measure by:
(attach a dial indicator so that it contacts the studs at the top.)
Caution: check each stud to ensure that it is not bent! Replace any bent studs before measuring run-out. Failure to do so will result in incorrect readings.
- Turn the spindle by hand to register on each stud.
- Zero the indicator on the *lowest* stud.
- Check run-out on the remaining studs.
- 0.030 is the acceptable radial run-out for the spindle.
0.005 is the acceptable lateral run-out. Measure by:
(attach a dial indicator so that it contacts the machined face just outside the studs, at the top is usually easiest.)
Spindles that display excessive radial run-out will often also display excessive lateral run-out as well.
- Turn the spindle by hand to register at each stud.
- Zero the indicator on the *lowest* stud location.
- Check run-out at the remaining studs.
- 0.005 is the acceptable lateral run-out for the spindle.
Note: It is uncommon for a spindle to be bent. First suspect the studs as being bent.
Back to main page
The Hummer Knowledge Base is a collection of informative posts from the Hummer Network forums and mailing lists, contributed material and links to outside web sites.
The Hummer Network is not responsible for the accuracy of the information contained herein or on outside web sites, nor for any situation arising from the use thereof.
© 2006-2011 by The Hummer Network. No material from the Hummer Knowledge Base may be reprinted or republished in any form without permission.