Click here for a listing of all HUMMER Network sponsors
The Hummer Knowledge Base
Torquing the Body Mounts:
I've been getting the typical loose body mount "knocking" noise lately, so I torqued my body mounts last night. I learned a few of things which may be useful:
- The passenger-side front mount bolt head can be easily accessed from the engine compartment. Open the hood, peer through the labryinth of wires, etc., and you can see it. A 1/2"x20" or so extension put me right on it. This was a welcome relief, since it's a monumental PITA to get to it from below. The nut on this side is easily accessed from below, and can easily be torqued with a short extension.
- My '97 service manual calls for 90 lb./ft. on these fasteners.
- The driver-side front mount bolt head can also be accessed from above, albeit with quite a bit more difficulty than the passenger side. You'll need about 26" of extension, plus at least one u-joint. The nut on this side is a pain to torque properly, but it can be done. If you're doing it this way, the bolt head can be easily held from below with a socket and short breaker-bar or ratchet. It can also be torqued (via the bolt head) from above, though you have to "fudge" it a bit due to the U-joint.
- Both of these mounts require an assistant if you're accessing them from the top. Fortunately, my girlfriend is a saint. (yeah, yeah ... I know ... she'd have to be ...).
- The other 4 mounts are relatively easy to access (comparitively speaking, that is ...).
- 4 of the 6 mounts weren't properly torqued. No big surprise where the knocking was coming from ...
Back to main page
The Hummer Knowledge Base is a collection of informative posts from the Hummer Network forums and mailing lists, contributed material and links to outside web sites.
The Hummer Network is not responsible for the accuracy of the information contained herein or on outside web sites, nor for any situation arising from the use thereof.
© 2006-2011 by The Hummer Network. No material from the Hummer Knowledge Base may be reprinted or republished in any form without permission.